Funny how smells can trigger such vivid memories.
I was cleaning the kitchen which at the time was in desperate disarray. The smells of last night's dinner, the sticky soda syrup on the counter, even the burned skillet. All of the sudden I had a strong feeling of deja vu. You know, that feeling as if you are in another place and another time but the present brought you back?.
The time was 12 years ago, the place was my late best friend's kitchen. The dishes in the sink that had old cereal, the stove that hadn't been cleaned for days. Considering the smells that started it weren't pleasant I found it very strange that the feeling I had was.
My friend had very advanced bone cancer. He was very ill and in much pain. The reason my messy kitchen reminded me of his was because he was physically unable to clean. That moment in my memories would have more likely brought back sad emotions or even angry, but it didn't. All I could think of was I am SO glad to have had that time with him.
Sometimes certain smells, sounds, tastes and even sights can be powerfully emotional. Another smell that has brought back unpleasant memories for me is rubber. When I was a kid I had lots of surgeries. Back in those days they used a rubber mask for the anesthesia. Now as an adult I find the smell of rubber tires or anything made of rubber too strong and I gag.
I wonder how many of you can remember a moment like that. It can be anything your senses bring to the forefront and any feeling you experience. I'm curious to know how many of you have had something that sticks out in your mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment